This is the perfect filling for my Basic Yellow Cake and Coconut Lemon Layer Cake recipes.
Prep time: 20-30 minutes
Chilling time: 2-3 hours
By May 27, 2014Published:
- 2 cups
- 2 large lemons
- 3 large eggs separated
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 10 ounces water
- 3/4 cup White Sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- waxed paper
- double boiler
- plastic wrap
- Rinse lemons. Zest 2 teaspoons of lemon on to waxed paper. Set aside.
- Squeeze lemons until you have 1/2 cup lemon juice. Set aside.
- Beat yolks slightly. Scrape them into the top of double boiler.
- Mix cornstarch and water in a bowl or shake them together in a jar. Add to yolks with lemon juice, sugar and salt. Stir well.
- Pour enough water into bottom of double boiler so that the top piece, when inserted, just skims the water. Bring water to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Place top part of double boiler over simmering water. Stir mixture constantly until it thickens- about 20 minutes. Add lemon zest. Stir again. Let lemon filling cool slightly before covering with plastic wrap which should lay directly on top of filling so no skin forms as it cools. Refrigerate for 2-3 hours until completely chilled. Allow filling to return to room temperature before spreading between cake layers.
- Note: You can avoid using a double boiler if you are comfortable with cooking the filling directly over low heat. It actually thickens much more quickly this way; but you have to keep adjusting the flame so that the filling doesn't stick or burn.