As I begin to braise the Roast Veal with Rosemary and Thyme, my kitchen is filled with the most amazing aroma from the fresh herbs and garlic. The onions and peppers add to the flavor of the veal; and also make a wonderful natural gravy. This Roast Veal with Rosemary and Thyme is tender, delicious and melts in your mouth.
If you love Veal Chops, try this recipe: http://Veal Chops with Cherry Tomatoes and Balsamic Glaze.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Roast Veal with Rosemary and Thyme
By February 21, 2014Published:
- Cuisine: Mediterrarean
- Course: Entrée
- Skill Level: Moderate
- 8-10 Servings
- 6 Pounds Rolled Shoulder of Veal
- Freshly Ground Pepper
- 2 Large Garlic Cloves Peeled
- 3 Large Branches of Rosemary
- 1 Small Thyme Bunch
- 1 Cup Dry White Wine
- 1 Cup Water
- 3 Large Onions peeled, cored and quartered
- 3 Large Peppers(multi-colored)-I prefer not using green peppers cored, seeded and cut into thick slices
- large roasting pan with rack and cover
- meat thermometer
- Preheat oven to: 350° F.
Rinse veal and pat dry. Grind fresh black pepper on all sides. Place veal on the rack in roasting pan. Add garlic, herbs, wine and water to pan. Cover pan and cook veal for one and one-half hours.
- After 1 1/2 hours of cooking, carefully remove cover. Scatter onions and peppers around the veal. Continue to cook veal uncovered for at least 45 minutes longer or until meat thermometer reads 170°F- 177°F and is soft to the touch. Allow veal to rest 10 minutes before slicing it.
- To serve: Slice veal into 1/2-3/4 inch servings. Arrange on a platter (or individual plates) and garnish with cooked onions and peppers. Use the natural juices from the roasting pan as gravy. Serve with potatoes or rice and a green vegetable.
- Note: Leftovers: When you remove any leftover meat and gravy from the fridge, you will see that it has gelled. You can reheat the veal and gravy and it will still be delicious; and you can also serve it cold. The natural aspic with the cold veal is wonderful and full of flavor. Enjoy!