These pecans are so addictive, I have to triple the recipe whenever I make them. They tease the appetite with cocktails and satisfy the end of a meal as dessert. Nothing wrong with them as a quasi guilty snack either!
By June 15, 2015Published:
- 2 1/2-3 cups
- 15 mins
- 2 1/2 cups shelled unsalted pecans
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pure Vanilla extract
- 1 large saucepan
- 1 wooden spoon
- 1 candy thermometer
- 1 large cookie sheet lined with baking parchment
- 2 forks
- Combine sugar and water in saucepan. Insert candy thermometer into mixture. Bring to a boil. Stir constantly to make sure that all the sugar crystals dissolve. Boil until the syrup forms a thin thread when dripped from a wooden spoon. The thermometer should read 230/thread.
- Stir in all the spices at once. Remove from heat and add the Vanilla. Stir quickly. Add all the nuts at once and stir vigorously until they are all coated with the spiced sugar syrup which will begin to crystallize.
- Using a wooden spoon, scrape the nuts out of the saucepan and onto the lined cookie sheet. Spread them out in an even a layer as possible. Let the nuts cool for a few minutes before separating them with the two forks. Allow the spiced nuts to cool completely and harden. Store in an airproof container.