Tired of bread stuffing, make this Rice Stuffing with Pearl Onions and Dried Fruit instead of-or in addition to your bread stuffing. I use this vegan and gluten free stuffing with turkey, Cornish hens or just as a side dish with roast chicken or even fish.
You can play around with this recipe. You can never go wrong with adding more roasted onions. I often double the onions because they’re a favorite with my grandson. You can also use any kind of dried fruit you prefer: mango, pears, peaches, figs all go well with the rice and onions.
Not eating meat these days, then roast a bunch of colorful vegetables, grill some marinated tofu and arrange them around this Rice Stuffing with Pearl Onions and Dried Fruit. Enjoy!
For another delicious rice recipe, try Brown Rice with Zucchini and Onions
Prep time: 20 minutes
Rice Stuffing with Pearl Onions & Dried Fruit
By September 12, 2016Published:
- 12 Servings
- 4 1/2 cups Low Salt Vegetable Broth
- 1 small bunch fresh thyme tied ina bundle 2 teaspoons dried thyme can be used
- 8 ounces wild rice
- 1 1/2 cups long grain white rice
- 14 ounces fresh Pearl Onions (peeled) or Frozen White Onions (Defrosted)
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 6 ounces dried apricots sliced into 3-4 slices each
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- Salt and Freshly Ground Pepper to Taste
- 8 cup Dutch oven with cover
- metal pan for roasting
- Add vegetable broth and thyme to Dutch oven. Bring to a boil and add wild rice. Stir once and return to a boil. Cover pot , reduce heat and simmer rice for 30 minutes. Carefully, remove cover and add white rice. Stir once. Return to a simmer and cook until almost all the broth has been absorbed by the rice. This takes about 15-20 minutes.
- Prepare onions while rice is cooking. Preheat oven to 400°F. Add defrosted, drained, and dried (or fresh) onions to metal pan. drizzle with olive oil and place in oven. The onions should brown and smell wonderful in 15-20 minutes. Shake the pan occasionally to turn the onions over so they brown more evenly.
- Add onions and the oil from the pan along with the apricots and cranberries to the cooked rice. Stir well with a fork. Taste. Add salt and pepper as needed. Serve hot. If you're cooking in advance, let the stuffing cool completely before placing it in the fridge.