This recipe is another example of treating my vegetarian guests to flavors similar to what I’m serving my carnivores. I use the same combination of ingredients to bake and glaze the tofu as I do my Roast Duck in Orange Sauce. Once you press all the moisture out of the tofu, it develops a chewiness and is still able to absorb whatever sauce you choose. If your vegetarians enjoy a sticky, slightly tart orange sauce, they will love this!
Prep time: 45 minutes
Orange Glazed Tofu
By August 21, 2017Published:
- 7-8 slices of tofu
- 16 ounces Extra Firm Tofu
- 12 ounces Frozen Orange Juice defrosted
- 4 ounces water
- 1/4 cup Firmly Packed Dark Brown Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Bouquet Garni
- 3/4 cup flour/gluten free flour
- vegetable oil
- 1 large Navel Orange rinsed and label removed
- flat plate large enough to hold tofu
- heavy cans/brick
- large skillet
- metal spatula
- baking dish
- Remove tofu from package. Cover in waxed paper and place on plate. Place cans or brick on top of waxed paper. Check tofu in 10-15 minutes and pour off liquid. Repeat two or three times until tofu is mostly dry and feels spongy. While you are waiting for tofu to drain, mix orange juice with water, sugar and herbs and set aside.
- Starting from the short end of the tofu, cut it into seven or eight slices. Sprinkle flour on flat surface and dredge tofu slices. Shake off extra flour.
- Pour oil in skillet and heat over medium-high flame. Add tofu slices, three-four at a time. Wait til you see a little brown on the edges before you flip slices over to brown. They will retain their coating better that way. When slices are browned on both sides, place in baking dish.
- Preheat oven to: 350°F.
Pour enough sauce over tofu to just cover it. Place in oven and bake. As sauce reduces, baste tofu with it so that the tofu becomes glazed and sticky.
While tofu is baking, cut orange in half and slice thinly. After tofu has baked 30 minutes, scatter orange slices over it and continue baking. The oranges will glaze along with the tofu. Add more sauce if necessary. Serve with colorful vegetables and farro or brown rice.