Acorn Squash Filled with Ratatouille takes advantage of the sweetness of the squash contrasted with the earthiness of the ratatouille. Quarter the squash and serve it as a side dish or serve the ratatouille in half a squash as a main dish. Acorn Squash Filled with Ratatouille is a beautiful and delicious main dish for vegetarians and vegans. Mix with quinoa for protein on Passover. For those who eat tofu on Passover and for the rest of the year, add some grilled tofu for protein.
An added bonus to this recipe is that it’s easy to pack up and take on a picnic. You can wrap the acorn squash halves and ratatouille separately or wrap them the acorn halves already filled. Pack them up and hand each person their own portion. If you’re in the mood to make them dairy, bring along some grated Parmesan cheese to sprinkle on top. Keep them non dairy and add some nutritional yeast on top for added richness. Any way you do it, this is a delicious and filling vegan recipe.
For another squash recipe, click on the link: Roasted Butternut Squash
Acorn Squash Filled with Ratatouille
By April 11, 2016Published:
- 5 cups ratatouille (8-12 Servings)
- 20 mins
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil
- 1 large onion peeled, cored, quartered and chopped
- 3 large Cloves Garlic peeled and minced
- 1 large red pepper rinsed, seeded and diced
- 1 1/4 pounds eggplant peeled and cut into 1/4 inch cubes
- 1 large zucchini rinsed,trimmed, cut into 1/4 inch cubes
- 2 large Italian plum tomatoes rinsed, juiced and thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon seasalt
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 2 tablespoons basil chopped
- 4 medium Acorn Squash halved and seeded
- 1 cup grated Parmesan or nutritional yeast optional
- 12 inch skillet with cover
- Heat oil in skillet over medium flame. Add onions and garlic to pan. Sauté until soft and you begin to smell the garlic. Add all the remaining vegetables. Stir vigorously until all the veggies are coated with oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Stir well again. Cover pan. Cook over low heat about 20 minutes until all the vegetables are very soft. Check the pan once or twice to be sure nothing is sticking to the bottom. Resist the urge to add more oil You don't need it. Uncover the skillet and remove from heat. Add chopped parsley and basil. Stir. Taste. Add more salt and pepper if needed. Serve by itself or stuffed into Acorn Squash.
- There are two ways to cook the squash: 1. Wrap squash halves in plastic wrap. Place in microwave and cook for seven minutes. Don't touch the wrap for a minute. It will be very hot. When you unwrap squash, place them cavity side up on a serving dish. 2. Place squash halves, cavity down, in a shallow pan filled with one inch of hot water. Cover with foil and place in a preheated 400° F. oven. Steam squash for 30-40 minutes or until you can make an indentation on the back of the squash with your finger or a spoon. Remove from oven. Cool. Carefully, remove squash from water and invert onto a serving dish.
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Fill squash halves with ratatouille. Put any extra in another serving dish. Serve hot or at room temperature.