The combination of spices in this recipe make you feel like you’re on an exotic vacation. The hot, sweet and spicy flavors combined with the tender beef, vegetables and dried apricots make each bite a perfect one. Make this recipe a day in advance so that the flavors have a chance to develop; and you can remove the layer of fat that gathers on top. Serve with rice or couscous. Enjoy!
Prep time: 30 minutes
By May 16, 2018Published:
- 8 Servings
- 4 pounds cubed beef
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Ground Coriander
- 2 teaspoons Ground Cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 pinches saffron
- 1 teaspoon Hot Paprika
- 2 pinches cayenne pepper
- 2 large Navel Oranges cut 2 large strips of peel from both oranges and then juice them til you have 1 cup juice
- 1 large onion peeled and halved
- 2 cups boxed/fresh beef broth
- 2 large cloves of garlic peeled and smashed
- 2 inches Fresh Ginger root peeled and diced
- 1 28 oz. boxed/canned organic chopped tomatoes drained
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 3 medium carrots peeled and cut into one inch rounds
- 3 large Celery Stalks sliced lenghtwise and then into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 cup dried apricots sliced
- 1 can Pitted Green Olives drained
- Dutch Oven
- small bowl
- Examine beef cubes. Remove any large pieces of fat. The cubes should be about one inch each. If some are too large, cut them in half. Rinse meat and pat dry. Set aside.
- Mix spices together in a small bowl. Set aside.
Preheat oven to: 350° F.
- Slice onion into 1/4th semi circles. Pour oil into Dutch Oven. Heat over medium flame. Add onion to oil. Sauté until oven begins to soften. Add garlic, ginger and cubed beef. Stir well. Add orange juice and stir again.
- Add chopped tomatoes, orange peel, honey spices and beef broth. Stir well again. Bring ingredients to a simmer . Cover pot and place in oven. Cook for 60-90 minutes or until meat has begun to soften. At this point, carefully remove cover and add apricots, carrots and celery. Replace cover. Continue to cook beef another 45-60 minutes or until beef is very tender and sauce has somewhat thickened. Cool completely before chilling overnight.
- Take beef out of the fridge. Remove congealed fat. Stir in olives. Heat over medium flame until hot. Serve with basmati rice.