This recipe is one of my children’s and grand children’s favorites. I think it’s the juicy sweetness of the grapes that squirt in your mouth with every bite that makes it so special to eat. I like to it with chicken breasts; but you can use the whole chicken if you like. Serve with a mixture of wild and Basmati rice; or any grain that has a firm shape and earthy flavor like farro or freekah. Add some steamed broccoli or string beans and you have a beautiful dinner for a holiday or special moment. Enjoy. And by the way, there are instructions for freezing at the end of this recipe.
For the vegetarians in your life, clink on the link for Tofu with Grapes and Mushrooms.
Note: I always ask for small chickens or chicken breasts. Sometimes, I receive small ones and sometimes not. Larger breasts will take longer to cook. No one wants to cut into a piece of chicken and have it look pink. I always cut into the thickest breast and check it before I deem it done.
Prep time: 45 minutes
Breast of Chicken with Grapes and Mushrooms
By August 13, 2014Published:
- 8 chicken breasts (8 Servings)
- 8 medium chicken breasts wings off and skinned
- 1 1/4 cups Panko
- 2 tablespoons dried tarragon
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 9 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion peeled and chopped
- 1 1/2 cups low-salt chicken stock fresh/boxed
- 1 1/2 cups dry white wine
- 1 pound small white mushrooms wiped clean, stems trimmed and sliced
- 3 cups seedless green grapes washed, stems removed
- large skillet
- medium/large roasting pan
- zip lock bag quart size
- Preheat oven to: 350° F.
- Mix panko with tarragon and pepper and pour into zip lock bag. Set aside.
- Clean chicken well. Trim any pieces of bone and fat you find. Pat dry and set aside.
- Add one piece of chicken at a time to zip lock bag, close tightly and shake well until the chicken is coated in crumbs. Remove chicken and set aside on a piece of waxed paper. Repeat process until all eight breasts have been coated in crumbs.
- Add three tablespoons oil to skillet and heat over medium flame. Place no more than three-four breasts in skillet at one time. Raise the heat and brown them on each side. Add a little more oil as needed. Place browned chicken in roasting pan as it is done. Keep chicken in a single layer. As some crumbs fall off and brown, scoop them out and add them to the browned chicken.
- Add chopped onion to oil in skillet and sauté until it is translucent. Add chicken broth and wine to the onions and bring to a boil. Remove from heat. Pour sauce over and around chicken breasts. Bake chicken, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- While chicken is baking: Add three tablespoons oil to skillet. Sauté mushrooms quickly over high heat. Remove roasting pan from oven and scatter mushrooms and grapes over chicken. Raise heat to: 375° F. Cover roasting pan lightly with foil and place back in the oven. Cook for one hour. Remove foil and continue cooking for another 30 minutes or until chicken is soft and fully cooked. Serve hot.
- Note: For cooking in advance and freezing: After you have added the mushrooms (not grapes)to the chicken, cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes more. Let it cool completely before covering with waxed paper and then wrapping tightly in foil and freezing. On the day before you are going to serve chicken: defrost completely. the next day, scatter grapes over chicken. Cover lightly with foil and bake for 30 minutes before removing foil and baking 15 minutes more or until chicken is soft and fully cooked.