When I was growing up, Sunday night meant we were going to a Chinese restaurant or ordering in deli. I remember all four of us squeezing around the small pink and white formica table in our kitchen and unwrapping the sandwiches and hot dogs.
My Father’s favorite sandwich was center cut Tongue on rye bread with mustard. He would enjoy it with cole slaw and Cel Ray Tonic. That being said, he smiled the broadest when presented with a grilled hot dog and Heinz baked beans. He always lit up with a smile when he saw that simple can of beans. I have inherited his love for franks and beans but have taken it up a notch. A wonderful southern lady who worked for my inlaws taught me how to make her version. You can use beef/turkey hot dogs and follow the recipe as is; or you can use veggie hot dogs and heat them on top of the beans for half the time. Either way, this is a delicious way to prepare the proverbial Franks ‘n Beans.It’s a perfect recipe for Super Bowl Sunday, Memorial Day weekend -or any time you need a quick rib sticking dish that will please kids and adults alike.
Not a frank lover- cook the beans according to the recipe and use as a side dish!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Franks 'n Beans
By May 21, 2014Published:
- 8 franks
- 3 20 ounce cans of red kidney beans
- 3 large Granny Smith Apples peeled,cored and chopped
- 3 large onions peeled and diced
- 1 pound Dark Brown Sugar Yes, that's a lot of sugar! Nowadays, I use less than 2 cups-or just enough to cover the top surface.
- 8 beef/turkey/veggie franks
- 1 8 cup oven to table casserole
- Preheat oven to: 400° F.
- Open the cans of kidney beans and pour contents (beans and liquid) directly into casserole.
- Add onion and apples to beans. Stir well. Sprinkle brown sugar over the top. I was taught to use the whole box of sugar but I have to admit that I've used half the box and it's still delicious! Bake 45-60 minutes or until sauce has thickened.
- Make two or three diagonal slices on top of the franks. Take care not to cut them all the way through. Place franks on top of bubbling beans and bake another 10-15 minutes or until franks have puffed and browned. Serve hot. Veggie franks will take less time to puff and brown. Serve hot.