Glazed Brussels Sprouts, Carrots and Chestnuts could almost be dessert! They are sweet, delicious and look beautiful on a plate!
I usually buy fresh brussels sprouts and peel them back; but buying packaged ones saves a lot of time and handwork. To be honest, they’re equally delicious. Fresh organic carrots peeled and cut into one inch logs have more flavor than a bag of baby carrots; but again, if time and handwork are an issue, a bag of baby carrots will do the trick. I stopped peeling fresh chestnuts eons ago- just too much work. Packaged or bottled plain roasted chestnuts are delicious.
Glazed Brussels Sprouts, Carrots and Chestnuts are perfect for Thanksgiving or really any time of year. For another recipe with Brussels Sprouts with a totally different flavor profile, try Brussels Sprouts with Walnuts and Dill.
Glazed Brussel Sprouts, Carrots and Chestnuts
By March 4, 2016Published:
- 16 Servings
- 60 small brussels sprouts
- 1 pound organic carrots cut into logs or packaged baby carrots
- 9 ounces peeled packaged/bottled chestnuts
- 4 ounces coconut oil
- 1/2 cup Light Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 1 large skillet with cover
- 1 large mixing bowl
- For large brussel sprouts: peel back all the dark leaves until you see the pale green ones. Trim the stems and cut an X in each one. Soak in salted water for 30 minutes and drain.
For baby brussel sprouts: trim the stems and soak for 30 minutes in salted water and drain.
- Fill skillet with one inch of water. Bring to a boil. Add the brussels sprouts. Reduce to a simmer. Cover skillet and steam about 4 minutes for baby sprouts, eight minutes for larger ones. Uncover the skillet after 2-3 minutes and check the color of the sprouts. You want them to be bright green and just crisp tender. Drain sprouts and cover them with ice to stop the cooking process. Set aside.
- Refill skillet with one inch of water and bring to a boil. Add carrots, reduce to a simmer and cover skillet. Steam carrots for eight minutes and drain. Add to brussels sprouts.
- Add coconut oil to skillet . Add light brown sugar and stir until completely melted. Add brussels sprouts, carrots and chestnuts. Stir until vegetables are covered with the melted sugar. Pour in apple juice and simmer until almost all the liquid has evaporated and vegetables are glazed. Serve hot.