Mushroom Soup with Thyme is my “go to” soup whenever I don’t know what to make and am in a rush. Everyone loves it including my grandchildren! The fresh thyme gives such wonderful flavor to the earthy mushrooms! If you want a creamier soup, add a peeled and chopped white potato to the mushroom mixture before you add the broth.
Try https://kosherbygloria.com/vegetarian-mushroom-and-barley-soup/ for a completely different type of soup with mushrooms.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Mushroom Soup with Thyme
By September 9, 2014Published:
- 8 Servings
- 2 pounds assorted mushrooms I like the combination of portabellos and white buttons
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large shallot peeled and minced
- 3 large garlic cloves peeled and minced
- 1 bunch Fresh Thyme at least 12 branches tied together
- 6 cups Fresh/boxed vegetable broth/water
- Salt and Freshly Ground Pepper to Taste
- 1/4 teaspoon truffle oil optional
- 1 8 cup soup pot with cover
- 1 electric food processor steel knife inserted
- Wipe off mushrooms and remove their stems. Chop mushrooms coarsely. Set aside.
- Heat oil in soup pot over medium flame. Add shallots and garlic and sauté until shallots are soft. Add mushrooms and toss well . Continue stirring until mushrooms begin to brown and release their juices. Add thyme bundle and broth. Stir well. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cover pot. Simmer slowly for about 25 minutes. Remove soup from heat and take off cover. Taste. Add salt and freshly ground pepper if necessary. Let soup cool 10 minutes before going on to the next step.
- Remove thyme bundle. Purée soup 1 1/2-2 cups at a time in processor. You can make the soup as smooth or chunky as you like. I like to purée half the soup completely and leave the other half a little chunkier. Add more broth if you prefer a thinner soup. Serve hot.
Optional: Drizzle with truffle oil