The sweetness of the apples is a delicious balance to the thinly sliced potatoes in this Potato-Apple Galette. Adding sage gives it an earthy flavor that will make you want to come back for a second piece.
This recipe is so easy and yet looks so elegant! You can serve it two different ways: 1. Layer the potatoes and apples directly into a greased oven to table baking dish and cut slices directly from this dish or 2. Line the baking dish with parchment and layer the potatoes and apples onto the parchment. When the galette is fully baked, let it cool about 10 minutes and then invert it onto a serving dish. Either way, you will have a sweet and crisp side dish for any meal!
Prep time: 30 minutes
By March 17, 2015Published:
- 8-10 Servings
- Five 7 ounce Russet Potatoes peeled
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large Golden Delicious apples peeled,cored, quartered
- 4 teaspoons Fresh Sage minced
- 1/2 teaspoon Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 10 inch oven to table baking dish
- 2 medium mixing bowls
- electric food processor thin slicer inserted
- Preheat oven to 450° F.
- Slice apples in processor or by hand. Place in them in a mixing bowl with with two tablespoons of olive oil and two teaspoons of sage. Toss lightly.
- Slice potatoes thinly by hand or in processor. Mix potatoes with remaining olive oil and sage in other mixing bowl.
- Arrange one layer of potato slices in overlapping concentric circles in baking pan. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Add another layer of potatoes and sprinkle with remaining sea salt and pepper. Top with a layer of apple slices. Cover with a last layer of potatoes. Pour any remaining oil and sage from both mixing bowl over top layer.
- Bake galette on lowest level of oven for about one hour or until the top is beginning to brown. Remove galette from oven. Cool 10 minutes on rack. Serve directly from baking dish or invert galette onto oven to table platter. Remove parchment from top. Put galette under the broiler for two minutes or until top is crisp and golden or use a kitchen torch. Serve hot.