I opened my freezer and discovered I still had a bag of frozen fresh pumpkin purée! Purim was approaching and my daughter loves Pumpkin Pie; so I thought why not make a pumpkin filling for some of this year’s Hamantaschen. I decided on a Sugar Crust; and then went about turning my pumpkin purée into a filling. You can, of course, buy prepared pumpkin filling, but I have always preferred to start from the pumpkin-not the can.
Prep time: 15 minutes- after you’ve roasted and puréed pumpkin
By February 21, 2017Published:
- 1 1/2 cups fresh pumpkin purée
- 1 large egg yolk save white for meringue
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground Ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- small saucepan
- Pour purée into saucepan. Stir in egg yolk. Stir this mixture over low/medium heat until all the moisture has evaporated from the pumpkin and it has thickened. You should be able to make a line in the pumpkin with a wooden spoon. Remove from heat. Add remaining ingredients and stir well. Taste. Adjust seasoning if necessary. Let purée cool completely before filling Hamantaschen.