This frosting turns any cake into a fluffy snowball!
Most standard double boilers are not large enough to allow for the volume of frosting that fluffs up from this recipe. I create a makeshift double boiler by using a large soup pot filled with simmering water into which I place a large mixing bowl. Use a pot holder to steady the mixing bowl because it gets hot as you beat the mixture into frosting.
Prep time: 15-20 minutes
Seven Minute Frosting
By May 27, 2014Published:
- enough for three 9
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 teaspoon Cream of Tartar
- 2 cups Sugar
- 3 large egg whites
- 4 1/2 teaspoons light corn syrup
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure Vanilla extract
- large pot wide enough to hold 12-16 cup stainless steel bowl
- electric mixer
- Fill pot with enough water so that the bottom of the mixing bowl just skims it. Bring water to a boil and then reduce to a simmer.
- Pour all ingredients except for Vanilla into the mixing bowl. Beat ingredients until just mixed. Place bowl over simmering water and beat mixture on high speed for 7-9 minutes or until a marshmallowy mixture forms. Make sure you bring the beaters all the way up and around the sides of the bowl to capture all the ingredients while beating. Turn off flame. Remove mixing bowl from hot water and add vanilla. Beat about one minute more until a spreadable frosting forms. Spread frosting over cake. Leave as is or pat shredded coconut, shaved chocolate or chopped nuts into it.