This Sweet Potato Casserole has been part of my Thanksgiving dinner for literally my whole life. When I was a child, Annie Mae made it. I remember her boiling and peeling the hot potatoes without even waiting for them to cool off. She mashed them with all the other ingredients and spread the mixture out in a casserole to bake. The most important part, of course, was watching her arrange all the marshmallows on top of the Sweet Potato Casserole and browning them at the end. Those ooey gooey marshmallows were and are such a treat.
My husband loves nuts; so I swapped out the marshmallows for chopped nuts and brown sugar over the top of the casserole. Years later, when we learned that my elder grandchildren were allergic to nuts, I reverted back to the marshmallows. You can’t go wrong either way.
Prep time: about 90 minutes: 30-45 minutes to boil potatoes plus about 20 minutes to let them cool before peeling, and 15 minutes more to mash all the ingredients together.
To Prep and Freeze: Follow the recipe and either spoon into an oven to table casserole that is also meant for the freezer; or spoon into a foil baking pan. In both cases, let the mashed potatoes cool completely before covering with a layer of waxed paper and then wrapping tightly in foil. Label and freeze. Defrost the night before you’re planning to serve it. Transfer into an oven to table serving dish before baking and serving. You can also purchase nice looking foil baking pans these days; so you can freeze, heat and serve all in the same pan.
Note: Marshmallows, both kosher and non-kosher are made with gelatin. Buy vegan marshmallows if you want to avoid the gelatin.
For an unusual recipe with white sweet potatoes, try White Sweet Potato Soup.
Sweet Potato Casserole
By February 21, 2014Published:
- 18 Servings
- 6 Pounds Sweet Potatoes
- 3/4 cup + 6 tablespoons Dark Brown Sugar
- 1 Cup Non-dairy Margarine-softened or 3/4-1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 Tablespoon Vanilla Extract or cognac
- 1 15 oz can Mandarin Oranges drained
- 1 Cup Chopped Pecans optional
- 1 package marshmallows
- Large Pot
- 6 Quart Oven to Table Casserole
- Boil sweet potatoes until very soft. Drain, cool slightly and peel. Preheat oven to 375° F. Place potatoes in large mixing bowl. Add 3/4 cup margarine or oil, 3/4 cup brown sugar, and vanilla or cognac to potatoes. Mash ingredients together by hand. Stir in oranges. Spoon mixture into casserole and smooth over the top.
- Optional: Mix together remaining margarine/oil and brown sugar. Scatter chopped pecans over the top of casserole. Dribble sugar and margarine/oil mixture over nuts. Bake 45 minutes or until piping hot.
- Note: Marshmallows can be used instead of nuts and brown sugar. Decorate the top of casserole with them during the last 15 minutes of baking.