White Sweet Potato Soup is a conversation starter. It’s not something you’re served every day-if at all. I discovered the special flavor of this White Sweet Potato Soup when we were in South Africa. The chef generously told me the ingredients. White sweet potatoes are starchier and sweeter than their orange cousins. This is a quick and easy recipe that will leave everyone asking for more.
For another delicious and easy sou made with white potatoes, click on the link: Leek and Potato Soup
Prep time: 20 minutes
Note: Don’t use a broth with color instead of water. It will discolor the soup.
White Sweet Potato Soup
By April 7, 2016Published:
- 8-10 Servings
- 2 tablespoons Vegetable Oil
- 1 large yellow onion peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 1/2 inches Fresh Ginger root peeled and chopped
- 2 teaspoons fine sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon White Pepper
- 2 1/2 pounds white sweet potatoes after being peeled, trimmed and chopped
- 8 cups water
- 1/2 cup Italian parsley-chopped-leaves only optional
- 1/3 cup snipped chives optional
- 3 cups Croutons optional
- 6 quart soup pot with cover
- electric food processor steel knife inserted
- Pour vegetable oil in soup pot. Heat over medium flame. Add chopped onion and sauté until translucent. Add minced ginger, salt and pepper to onions and stir well. Add sweet potatoes, and water. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Cover pot and simmer for about 25 minutes. You should be able to mash the potatoes with the back of a spoon.
- Let soup cool about 10 minutes. Pour two or three cups of soup at a time into the bowl of your processor. Purée until smooth. Repeat until all the soup has been puréed.
Serve soup hot sprinkled with parsley or chives. Offer croutons on the side.