Soup made with white sweet potatoes is a conversation starter. They are much starchier and sweeter than orange ones. I discovered the deliciousness of this soup when we were in South Africa. The chef kindly told me the ingredients. This is a quick and easy recipe that will leave everyone asking for more.
Prep time: 20 minutes
White Sweet Potato Soup
By April 7, 2016Published:
- 8-10 Servings
- 2 tablespoons Vegetable Oil
- 1 large yellow onion peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 1/2 inches Fresh Ginger root peeled and chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon White Pepper
- 2 pounds white sweet potatoes peeled and cut into chunks
- 6 cups water
- 1/2 cup Italian parsley chopped- leaves only
- 1/3 cup snipped chives optional
- 3 cups Croutons optional
- 6 quart soup pot with cover
- electric food processor steel knife inserted
- Pour vegetable oil in soup pot. Heat over medium flame. Add chopped onion and sauté until translucent. Add minced ginger, salt and pepper to onions and stir well. Add sweet potatoes, and water. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Cover pot and simmer for about 25 minutes. You should be able to mash the potatoes with the back of a spoon.
- Let soup cool about 10 minutes. Pour a few cups of soup at a time into the bowl of your processor. Purée until smooth. Continue doing this until all the soup has been puréed.
Serve soup hot sprinkled with parsley or chives. Offer croutons on the side.