This is a light creamy puree of Tomato Soup without a drop of cream. Its delicate flavor comes from thyme and orange zest. The thin slice of Meyer Lemon floating on top invites you to press on it with the back of your spoon and let its unique lemon-orange tang further enhance the soup; while the avocado adds another level of creaminess. Eat it hot or cold- you’ll love it!
Prep time: 20 minutes
Tomato Soup with Meyer Lemon and Avocado
By December 24, 2015Published:
- 8-10 Servings
- 6 large ripe beefsteak tomatoes about 6 pounds
- 1 large onion peeled, cored and chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- small bunch of thyme 10-15 branches tied in a string
- 1 1/2 cups tomato juice
- 1 small orange zested
- 1 1/2 teaspoons seasalt
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 2 large Meyer Lemons regular lemons are okay
- 2 Haas avocados
- electric food processor steel knife inserted
- large skillet with cover
- 6 quart soup pot
- Place tomatoes in a large bowl and cover with hot water. While tomatoes are soaking, heat oil in skillet over medium flame. Add chopped onion and stir until the onion is coated with oil. Cook a few minutes until onions are soft-not browned. Remove from heat.
- Carefully, remove tomatoes from hot water, one at a time. Core and peel them. The skin should slide right off. Cut tomatoes into thick wedges and add to softened onions. Pour in tomato juice. Add thyme, orange zest, sea salt and several turns of the pepper grinder. Bring ingredients to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cover skillet. Simmer for 30-45 minutes until tomatoes are falling apart and you can smell them. Remove cover and allow mixture to cool.
- Rinse out processor bowl if you used it to chop onions. Add cooled mixture to bowl, 2-3 cups at a time. Process until soup is very smooth. Pour soup into a 6 quart pot. Repeat until all the ingredients in the skillet have been pureed and added to soup pot. Taste. Add more salt and pepper if necessary.
- This soup is delicious hot or cold. As a garnish: slice Meyer Lemons very thinly and remove pits. Peel avocado and remove pit. Cut into one-half inch slices and then cut those in half so each piece is about 1 1/2 -2 inches long. Place a slice of lemon in each soup bowl and place 2-3 slices of avocado on top of it. Enjoy