I came up with the idea of turning Veal Piccata into Scaloppine of turkey when a friend of ours decided that white meat turkey was the only meat he would eat. It occurred to me that the mild flavor of turkey is the perfect foil for the mixture of lemon juice, white wine and capers. This is a quick and easy recipe to prepare and perfect for serving a crowd. Try my Tofu with White Wine, Lemon and Capers as a vegetarian option.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Turkey Scaloppine with Lemon and Capers
By May 9, 2016Published:
- 8 scaloppine
- 8 scaloppine of turkey pounded thin
- 1/2 cup flour use potato starch for Passover
- 1 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 cups Dry White Wine
- 2 large lemons
- 1 cup large capers use chopped pitted green olives for Passover
- 3 tablespoons Flat Leaf Parsley washed and minced
- shallow dish large enough to dredge turkey
- large skillet with cover
- tongs with rubber ends
- container to hold sauteed turkey
- Mix flour and white pepper in shallow dish. Rinse turkey and pat dry. Juice one lemon. Slice the other one thinly. Remove pits. Rinse and drain capers.
- Pour two tablespoons of oil in skillet over medium flame. When oil is hot, dredge two scaloppine of turkey. Shake off excess flour and carefully place into hot oil. Sauté turkey one or two minutes until it is light brown on one side. Turn scaloppine over with tongs and sauté two minutes longer. Remove from pan and set aside in another container. Cover with foil to retain heat. Repeat process with remaining turkey. Add more olive oil as needed.
- You now have the turkey in a container and a skillet with oil and flour. If there is a lot of flour on the bottom of the skillet, pour off the oil and wipe it out. Add one more tablespoon of oil to the skillet before adding wine, lemon juice and capers. Bring to a simmer and simmer for one minute. Return turkey to the skillet and simmer five minutes longer.
- Arrange scaloppine of turkey in a serving dish. Pour the sauce over it. Garnish with sliced lemon and minced parsley. Serve hot with rice and a colorful vegetable.