I make this Vegan Mixed Mushroom Gravy for my daughter, who is vegetarian. The truth is, everybody else loves it too. The gravy’s rich brown color comes from the juices of the Portobello mushrooms . I use more of those than any other mushrooms. Rather than do the annoying job of stripping the thyme branches of their leaves, tie them in a bunch with butcher twine and place the whole bunch in the gravy mixture. Most of the leaves come off in the simmering and then you can just lift out the bundle and throw it away. This Vegan Mixed Mushroom Gravy will quickly become your favorite with all vegetarian recipes that require gravy.
Click on the link for a delicious vegan Mushroom Soup with Thyme !
Prep time: 15 minutes
Vegan Mixed Mushroom Gravy
By November 15, 2014Published:
- 6 cups
- 4 ounces vegetable oil
- 3 large cloves garlic peeled & minced
- 1 large shallot peeled & minced
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 pound Portabello, shitake and white button wiped clean, stemmed and thinly sliced
- 8-10 sage leaves chopped
- 1 medium bunch thyme tied with string
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 4 cups low salt vegetable broth or water boxed/fresh
- 2 tablespoons potato starch
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste er to taste taste
- 1 large skillet
- Pour oil in skillet and heat over medium flame. Add minced garlic , shallot and salt. Sauté until garlic has softened and onions are translucent.
- Add mushrooms. Stir vigorously over medium-high heat until mushrooms have browned, softened and released their juices. Add chopped sage and thyme. Stir herbs into mushrooms. Add wine. Stir well and bring to a boil. Boil two minutes.
- Stir potato starch into 1/2 cup of vegetable broth/water. Add to mushroom mixture. Stir well until slightly thickened. Add remaining 3 1/2 cups broth/water. Stir until gravy thickens again. Taste. Season with more salt (if needed) and freshly ground pepper to taste. Use immediately or cool completely before refrigerating or freezing. Adjust seasoning, if necessary, after reheating.
- This gravy can be frozen. Defrost completely before reheating.