You’ll know you’re not eating real pasta, but you won’t mind a bit! This delectable Spaghetti Squash Primavera is a refreshing alternative to heavy pasta dishes.
Toss the spaghetti like strings of squash with vegetables. Add Tomato Sauce and/or cheese or not and you’ll have a healthy filling meal- perfect for all year round and Passover too.
Spaghetti Squash Primavera
By April 17, 2016Published:
- 8-10 Servings
- 30 mins
- 2 4 pound spaghetti squash microwaved/steamed
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 large Cloves Garlic peeled and minced
- 1 bunch thick asparagus washed, woody stems removed and cut into 1/2 inch pieces on the bias
- 1 pound broccoli florets washed and halved if too large
- 3 large red, yellow, orange peppers rinsed, cored, seeded and diced
- 1/2 pound Baby Bella Mushrooms wiped, trimmed and quartered
- Sea Salt and Freshly Ground Pepper to Taste
- 1 medium zucchini washed, trimmed and diced
- 1 medium yellow squash washed, trimmed and diced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 6 cups homemade tomato sauce optional
- 1 cup Freshly Grated Parmesan optional
- 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts optional
- large roasting pan for steaming squash
- large skillet with cover
- 1 large mixing bowl
- There are two ways of preparing the spaghetti squash. The first step is to halve the squash and remove the seeds; then you can either: 1. Wrap each squash half in plastic wrap and place cavity down on a microwave proof plate. Microwave for 12 minutes. Don't touch the squash for at least a minute after they're cooked. Carefully, remove plastic wrap. Hold one half at a time with a pot holder and scrape the squash downwards with a fork. The spaghetti- like strands will fall into the mixing bowl. 2. Place spaghetti squash halves in roasting pan. Fill pan with one inch of hot water. Cover pan with foil and place in pre-heated 400 F. oven. Steam for about 40 minutes or until you can make an indentation in the shell with a spoon or your finger, Remove squash from oven. Carefully remove foil and lift squash out of water. Wait a minute for it to cool; and then invert them and scrape squash into the mixing bowl.
- Heat oil in skillet over medium flame. Add garlic. Saute for a minute. Add broccoli, asparagus, peppers and mushrooms. Toss carefully with the oil and garlic. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Mix again. Cover for five minutes. Remove cover. Add zucchini and yellow squash. Stir well and continue to cook until broccoli is crisp-tender. Add chopped basil and stir again. Taste. Add more salt and pepper if necessary. Pour vegetables onto the spaghetti squash. Stir gently. Spoon into a serving bowl. I like to serve tomato sauce, toasted nuts and cheese (for a dairy meal) on the side.This way, everyone gets to have it their own way!