Take your Cauliflower Soup up a notch with the addition of sautéed shitake mushrooms and truffle oil. It’s light, creamy without cream, and full of flavor. The prep couldn’t be more simple; but the result is extraordinary!
Prep: 20 minutes
Cauliflower Soup with Shitakes and Black Truffle Oil
By May 14, 2018Published:
- 2 large onions peeled and minced
- 2 pounds cauliflower florets
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon fine seasalt
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 8 cups low salt no chicken chicken broth
- 8 large shitake mushrooms stems removed, wiped clean
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons scallions-green part only thinly sliced
- 3 teaspoons black truffle oil
- 4 quart soup pot with cover
- electric food processor steel knife inserted
- 1 Dutch Oven
- small skillet
- Heat oil in soup pot over medium flame. Add minced onion and stir so that all the onions are covered with oil. Add 1 teaspoon fine sea salt and 1/2 teaspoon white pepper. Stir well. Sauté onions until they are soft-not brown. Add cauliflower and mix well. Pour in broth. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a Simmer. Cover pot. Simmer about 25-30 minutes until cauliflower can be crushed against the pot with a wooden spoon. Taste. Cool 15 minutes.
- Ladle soup into processor about 2-3 cups at a time. Process until soup is velvety smooth. Pour purée into Dutch Oven. Taste. Adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Heat olive oil in small skillet over medium flame. Add mushrooms to hot oil and sauté til wilted. Remove mushrooms. Slice each mushroom into 1/4 inch slices. Set aside.
- To serve soup: Ladle 1 3/4 cups soup into each soup bowl. Place two shitake slices in each bowl. Scatter about one teaspoon sliced scallions over the top. Carefully, drizzle truffle oil twice around the circumference of the soup bowl. Don't overdo it. A little gives a lot of flavor! You can skip the truffle oil; but you'll be missing a real treat! Enjoy