The combination of grilled peaches, onions, and chicken marinated in mustard vinaigrette arranged over a mixed salad makes a wonderfully light and flavorful Summer dinner. I can still grill stove top; even though I live in a city apartment without a terrace to grill on. A really hot indoor grill pan can also bring out the sweetness of your ingredients.
Vegetarians can replace the chicken with vegan chicken strips or grilled marinated tofu.
Prep time: 30-45 minutes
Grilled Chicken, Peach & Onion Salad
By July 8, 2014Published:
- 8 Servings
- 8 medium chicken cutlets tenders (fingers) removed
- 1 cup mustard vinaigrette
- 2 large onions peeled, cored, sliced into 1/4 inch rounds
- 6 large fresh ripe peaches peeled, halved and pitted
- 1 large Romaine lettuce washed and torn into bite size pieces
- 1 large radicchio washed and torn into bite size pieces
- 1 seedless cucumber
- 1 large sweet pepper red/yellow/orange-not green
- 1 large ripe beefsteak tomato or 1 box pear tomatoes
- 1 15 ounce canned kernel corn drained
- 1 small bunch Italian parsley washed, stems removed, coarsely chopped
- Olive Oil
- Balsamic Vinegar
- Sea Salt and Freshly Ground Pepper to Taste
- avocado, endive,pitted olives, shredded carrots, diced zucchini optional
- medium mixing bowl
- grill pan
- silicone spatula
- medium baking dish
- large serving platter
- Pull out the white sinews from the chicken tenders by scraping a tiny piece of chicken away from the tip and grabbing it with a paper towel. Place a sharp knife blade against the sinew on each side and scrape it out. Remove any membrane or fat that is on the cutlets. Rinse all the chicken and mix with mustard vinaigrette in a mixing bowl. Refrigerate until needed.
- Place grill pan over high heat. Grill peaches a few minutes on each side or until dark grill marks appear. Remove peaches from pan and set aside. Do not clean pan. Place onion rounds on grill pan. Sprinkle with one teaspoon olive oil and grill until onions are charred and soft. Turn them over several times (picking up any peach juices on the pan) so that they grill on both sides. Remove onions from pan with a silicone spatula and set aside.
- Arrange chicken fingers on grill pan and grill about four minutes on each side or until done. Set aside.
- Preheat oven: 350° F.
- Brush grill pan with a little olive oil. Arrange chicken cutlets on grill pan vertically so that you will see the horizontal marks from the grill when they are done. Depending on the size of your grill, you may have to grill no more than two at a time. The more chicken on the grill, the slower it will cook. Grill cutlets 8-10 minutes on each side. If the cutlets are thick, they will not be fully cooked. Place cutlets in baking dish and put in oven for an additional 10-15 minutes to finish cooking. Add cooked fingers to completed chicken and cover with foil until you are ready to serve.
- Prepare salad in advance or while chicken is cooking. Place torn romaine, radicchio and corn into salad bowl. Wipe off cucumber. Cut off ends. Slice cucumber lengthwise into quarters. Cut each quarter into 1/4 inch pieces and add to salad. Rinse, seed and dice pepper and add to salad. Rinse and core tomato (or rinse pear tomatoes). Cut tomato into wedges and add to salad. Toss salad gently and arrange on a large serving platter.
- Slice each cutlet on the bias into thirds. Place chicken on top of the salad. Maintain the shape of the cutlets but leave some space in between slices. Slice peach halves into three or four pieces and place them between the chicken slices. Scatter the onions around the chicken and peaches. Sprinkle with chopped parsley. Serve with oil and vinegar, sea salt and pepper on the side so that each person can dress their own salad. Personally, I love this recipe with just a sprinkling of sea salt and a splash of balsamic to bring up the flavors of the other ingredients. Enjoy.