When my Mother in Law first showed me this recipe with chicken, she never imagined I would be transforming it into a vegetarian/vegan entrée. Pressed and drained extra firm tofu is able to absorb any combination of flavors you add to it. When it’s coated in mustard and tarragon and baked in white wine, even your carnivores will be smacking their lips.
Prep time: 45 min.
Note: You can also cut the pressed tofu into one inch strips that simulate chicken fingers. Kids love it that way.
By December 18, 2013Published:
- 4 Servings
- 16 Ounces Extra Firm Tofu
- 2 Large Lemons
- 3/4 Cup Non-dairy Unseasoned Bread Crumbs
- 6 tablespoons Dijon Mustard
- 1/2 Teaspoon Freshly Ground Pepper
- 1 Shallot minced
- 1 rrounded teaspoon Dried Tarragon
- 1/3 cup Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup Dry White Wine
- 1/2 cup Low Salt Vegetable Broth
- 1/3 cup Italian parsley chopped
- Large Skillet
- Grater or Microplane
- Medium Mixing Bowl
- Oven to Table Serving Dish
- Drain tofu. Wrap tofu in paper towel and put it on a plate under a brick or two heavy cans. Let stand 30 minutes. Drain tofu again and slice into eight pieces. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to: 350° F.
- Zest one lemon. Mix zest with bread crumbs and set aside.
- Combine minced shallot with mustard, oil, tarragon and pepper.
- Coat tofu slices on both sides first with mustard tarragon mixture and then with breadcrumbs.
- Arrange coated tofu slices in oven to table serving dish. Bake for 15 minutes. Pour wine and vegetable broth in a saucepan. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat and pour over tofu slices. Bake 15 minutes longer. Slice remaining lemon thinly. Remove pits. Garnish tofu with sliced lemon and chopped parsley. Serve hot or at room temperature.