Vegetables Bourguignon (a riff on Boeuf Bourguignon), is a flavorful vegetarian entrée all year round and perfect for Passover as well. My video shows me serving the Vegetables Bourguignon over a slice of Roasted Cauliflower – making it perfect for Keto diets. Personally, I love to serve it over a mound of potatoes mashed with olive oil! Whichever way you go, this is a delicious, healthy and colorful entrée!
Prep time: 15 minutes- not including time to roast the beets
By April 11, 2019Published:
- 2 Servings
- one 2.5 pound white cauliflower steamed, seasoned and roasted
- 10 ounces baby bella mushrooms wiped, trimmed and quartered
- 14 ounces pearl onions defrosted/fresh
- 2 pounds fresh beets (red, yellow, chioggia) roasted, peeled and quartered
- small bunch of thyme tied with twine
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups dry red wine
- 1 1/2 tablespoons potato starch
- 1/8 cup parsley chopped
- large skillet with cover
- slotted spoon
- Pour about 1/3 cup olive oil into the skillet. Heat over medium flame. Add mushrooms and stir them quickly so that they are all covered with oil. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt and 2-3 turns of the pepper grinder. Stir again. When mushrooms have taken on color, remove them from pan with a slotted spoon.
- Add a little more oil to the pan and add onions. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 2-3 turns of the pepper grinder. Sauté onions until they have browned. Reduce heat, and pour in 1 2/3 cups wine. Add bunch of thyme. Stir well. Reduce heat and cover. Shake pan a few times over 10 minutes to be sure nothing sticks to the pan. (Fresh onions will take more time to cook than defrosted ones) When you remove the cover, the onions should be ruby red. Remove thyme. Add sautéed mushrooms and beets, stir well.
- Mix potato starch with remaining 1/3 cup of wine. Add to skillet and stir briskly. The sauce should thicken. If it's too thick, you can thin it down with more wine, water or vegetable broth.
- To serve: Cut two one inch slices of the roasted cauliflower. If the slices fall apart, you can arrange them neatly on the plate. Spoon half the vegetables over each slice of cauliflower. Garnish with chopped parsley. Serve hot.