Parsnip and Apple Soup takes full advantage of the distinctive flavors of sweet earthy parsnips and tart Granny Smith apples. This combination is delicious on its own; but you can take it up a notch by adding a drizzle of pomegranate molasses and maple syrup. The play of tart and sweet dances on your tongue. Bottled Pomegranate Molasses is readily available in stores. If you can’t find it, you can slowly boil down pomegranate juice until it has thickened and use that.
Try this unusual combination of flavors enhanced with coriander. Want some crunch, garnish the soup with pomegranate arils and serve croutons on the side.
Prep time: 30 minutes
Parsnip and Apple Soup
By June 25, 2018Published:
- 12-14 cups
- 1 1/4 pounds yellow onions peeled, cored and chopped
- 2 1/4 pounds Granny Smith Apples (4 large) peeled, cored and diced
- 2 1/4 pounds parsnips peeled, trimmed and coarsely diced
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 8 cups vegan no chicken chicken broth
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup pomegranate molasses for drizzling
- 1/2 cup Italian flat parsley optional
- 1 cup pomegranate arils optional
- 2 cups Croutons optional
- 6 quart soup pot with cover
- electric food processor steel knife inserted
- Heat oil in soup pot over medium flame. Add onions, salt and pepper. Sauté until onions are soft and translucent. Add coriander and stir well. Add parsnips and apples. Mix thoroughly with the onions. Pour vegetable broth over the vegetables. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cover pot. Simmer about 50 minutes or until vegetables, particularly parsnips, can be smashed with the back of a wooden spoon. Cool slightly.
- Purée two to three cups of soup at a time in bowl of processor. Taste. Some parsnips are sweeter than others. If you find the flavor too strong, add maple syrup 1/4 cup at a time. Stir and taste. Add water, 1/2 cup at a time, if you find the soup too thick. Add minced parsley at this point if you're using it. Pour 1 1/2 -2 cups soup in each bowl. Using an eye dropper or a teaspoon, drizzle pomegranate molasses over the top in a circular motion. Sprinkle with arils, Serve croutons separately.