Adding red wine, cinnamon and apple to sautéed red cabbage cabbage and onions produces a delicious Red Wine Cabbage Soup perfect for family and guests. There are so many levels of flavor in this soup that you won’t be able to stop eating it! Cabbage and apples are a tried and true combination. Add red wine and cinnamon and you have a beautiful ruby colored Red Wine Cabbage Soup. For a cabbage soup made with green cabbage, try Vegetarian Cabbage Soup.
Hint: Be sure you use a wine you would be happy to drink-not cooking wine!
Prep time: 20 minutes
Red Wine Cabbage Soup
By March 14, 2016Published:
- 8 Servings
- 3 pounds red cabbage cored, chopped into bite size pieces and rinsed
- 1 large red onion peeled, halved, cored ,thinly slicd
- 1 large yellow onion peeled, halved, cored, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 1 large cinnamon stick
- 1 large Bay Leaf
- 3 whole cloves
- 2 large Golden Delicious apples peeled, cored and minced
- 2 cups dry red wine
- 4 cups vegetable broth fresh/boxed
- 1/2 cup Balsamic Vinegar
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 6 quart soup pot with cover
- 6 inch square of cheesecloth + a long piece to tie bundle bouquet garni bags can be purchased
- Pour oil in the soup pot and heat over medium high flame. Add cabbage and onions. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Stir well. Cover and steam over low heat until vegetables are very soft. This can take about 20 minutes. Stir twice during this cooking time to be sure nothing is sticking to the pot.
- Tie cinnamon stick, bay leaf and cloves in cheesecloth.
- When vegetables are soft, add herb bundle, apple, wine, broth, vinegar and sugar. Bring mixture to a boil, cover and reduce to a simmer. Simmer one hour. Taste. Adjust seasoning with salt, pepper and sugar if needed. Remove herb bundle and serve hot.