This delicious Carrot Soup looks like a sunset in a bowl. It is bright orange and creamy with tiny nuggets of carrots to give it some texture. Homemade croutons add crunch!
Prep time: 20 minutes
Carrot Ginger Soup
By February 21, 2014Published:
- 11 Cups
- 2 Large Onions About 1 1/2 Pounds-peeled
- 2 Large Garlic Cloves peeled
- 2 Teaspoons Olive Oil
- 2 Pounds Carrots peeled
- 2 Large Yukon Gold potatoes peeled
- 3 Inches Fresh Ginger
- 10 Cups No Chicken Chicken/Vegetable Broth/water
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- sea salt
- white pepper
- 3 cups Croutons Optional
- 1 cup chopped crystallized ginger Optional
- Electric Food Processor steel knife inserted
- medium mixing bowl
- 4 Quart Soup Pot
- Ginger Grater a regular grater will do
- Quarter onions. Mince together by hand or in processor. Scrape into a mixing bowl.
- Chop carrots and potatoes coarsely by hand or in processor.
- Peel ginger-root and grate.
- Heat oil in soup pot over low flame. Add garlic and onions and cook until soft and translucent-about five minutes.
- Add chopped carrots, potatoes, grated ginger and vegetable broth/water to the pot. Bring to a boil; then reduce to a simmer. Cover pot. Simmer 35-45 minutes. While soup is simmering, rinse out processor bowl.
- After 35 minutes (or when vegetables are soft but firm when pressed with back of wooden spoon), remove from heat. Cool slightly. Ladle soup two -three cups at a time into processor. Process eight cups of soup until they are completely puréed. Pour into a large bowl. Pulse the remaining soup so that there are some small lumps left. Add to bowl. Stir well. Check completed soup for seasoning. Add sugar, salt or pepper to taste. Return soup to stock pot and reheat before serving. Serve with croutons and crystallized ginger if desired.
- To freeze: Let soup cool completely before freezing. Flavors intensify in the freezer so you may want to dilute soup with more broth after defrosting and reheating it.
- NOTE: This is a great soup for Passover. Garnish with small matzah pieces instead of croutons.